Monday, July 6, 2015

Assumption and Underestimation...

     I grew up in a fairly conservative family. We were pentecostal, "sanctified" as called by those who
didn't understand what being pentecostal really meant. It's theological, doctrinal or something I'm sure. That's for a whole other blog for another time,  but it is germane to this particular entry.
  One thing I can say about being pentecostal is that we are taught that we are set apart from others.
We are to live free of unsavory influences. There was no singing of secular music, or as many in my family would say "The Blues". Dance was forbidden as it was a gateway to debauchery. For me this was problematic, because I loved watching Gene Kelly, Michael Jackson, Debbie Allen and the cast of Fame defy gravity with their bodies. To be able to soar through the air had to be a God given gift.  However; when I was alone I danced as often as I could and repented later.
   If I had to place my family in a "class" it would be your typical hard working "Blue Collar".
I grew up believing that theater, ballet, opera ,pretty much all of the performing arts were either for rich white people or for those that lived in New York City. They had no real place for a little black boy that came from a "Blue Collar" Family. My only exposure was thru television ( thank God for PBS), and the music programs via my public school education. I assumed my family wasn't interested. Then the unexpected happened, my senior year in high school I was cast as the LEAD in the musical.  I would have kept that secret but then I would've had to account for the number of hours I went missing with no contact and considering the kind of father I had,  if there was no explanation the only program my name would have appeared in would have been an obituary so, I told my mother thinking she would soften the blow.
    The week that my show was to play approached. Our Sunday ritual was dinner with my grandparents  after church. While in preparation my mother announced "Vonzel is going to star in the musical at school." I was mortified and happy at the same time; happy because my mom finally had something to brag on me about, mortified that my secret had been exposed. I was participating in something worldly with no conviction at all.
  My eldest aunt opened her mouth in perceived skepticism. "What show is it?" Knowing her she was probably hoping it was"Your Arms Are Too Short to Box With God" because of its obvious biblical association. "Pippin." I said. I can't recall whether it was a statement or a question.
"Pippin? Isn't that a dancing show?" she asked. I think it may have been on Broadway during her brief stint in the NYC area. The star Ben Vereen was a known protege of Bob Fosse so that pretty much told her everything about the show.

   Fastforward 20 something years, a professional tour, several performances with respectable Regional Theaters later and at the birth of my own production company I have to admit that due to my own assumption I have grossly underestimated my family. I always thought they didn't really care for live theater. The truth was it was never really presented as an option until I came along. I don't think they missed one production I performed in during my time with FAMU Essential Theatre (even my dad and that's actually saying something) If I was performing within driving distance a representative came, and according to my business partner my family was among the heaviest contributors, making it possible to occupy our new studio. They are extremely vital in the fruition of The Midtown Entertainment Group.

    I said all of that to say this, it is my observation that mainstream American Theater has noticed the lack of diversity on the stage as well as off. Often times it's assumed that the Black audience is not interested. As a little black boy that used to dream of going to the "FAME" school I submit to you that the audience is there and ready for the show. It's a matter of presenting us with productions that we can relate to and feel fairly represented in. Theater companies must add to that the conscious effort to seek out the audience. Invite them to your shows of interest in fact invite them to ALL your of shows. I can tell you, we really do like them. Create pricing that makes it affordable as well. Having a lack of financial resources doesn't denote a lack of interest in cultural development. Many of our artistic geniuses come from humble beginnings
   As Artistic Director of The Midtown Entertainment Group, it is my mission to actively pursue the audience I want. That audience reflects the multiplicity of America that I have learned does exist. If I am to tell the stories of life, those stories will include all people. Just know that I have to tell my story first and when I do, you'll see yourself in it regardless of your race or ethnicity. We live. We love. We are human. That's my Midtown Movement.

1 comment:

  1. Well written Vonzel. I'm happy to see you walk in your gift zone, and live your dream. I wish nothing but the best for you and I pray the blessings of The Lord will overtake you. Love ya Cuz!

    ReplyDelete