Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Passion of the Praise...

ne of things that I've discovered as an artist is that creativity is a highly spiritual process.
When I am performing, I have experienced a connection to God that I can't begin to put into words. I feel complete. I feel fully and authentically me. It's as close to God as I can be sometimes. Whether I'm singing, acting, dancing, writing, or even directing (which I'm still learning) there is a well in my spirit that just opens up. That well springs forth the part of God that's in me. This is why I have never understood why the institution of church (especially in a black church) took so long to finally embrace dance and drama as a vital part of worship and ministry.

When I reflect on my journey in ministry, I realize how my insistent passion and involvement in the arts might have paved the way for those after me to express their praise through any artform. Many of which went on to win national competitions within my denomination. I am happy to have been a part of ushering in that movement in my place of worship.


I feel so much excitement when I come across pastors and spiritual leaders that not only
recognize the performing arts as a form of spiritual ministry, but insist on the arts as a vital
part of the church experience. For this reason, I highly commend Pastor Lamar Simmons and The Love and Faith Community Church Family. This past Saturday, I experienced an event called, "Dance You Out the Four Walls" under the direction of Curtis

Mr. Cooper is a former member of the highly acclaimed Famu Strikers (If I'm incorrect, don't come for me. This is just a blog of my thoughts and observations, not a major news outlet.)
I won't go into specifics about his organization because I dont have all of the information to give it full credit, but I do believe I'll do an interview (thinking out loud.) I just want to take the time to share  how my soul was moved.

"Dance You Out the Four Walls", was an expression of worship through the beauty of dance that everyone in Tallahassee should experience. My heart was filled and at times the tears flowed. Watching this arm of children and adults express their faith and love of God through dance with a passion and wreckless abandonment made the artist in me soar. It was like they were dancing for the eight year old me that wasn't allowed to dance.

It was like a liturgical ballet. The storyline centered of one piece centered around the miraculous healing power of God. The impact and inspiration this event provides the community can only be measured in the confidence gained by each pint-sized dancer, the pride of eagerly proud parents, the uplifted hands in worship and the unification of the community. My hat goes off to the Love and Faith family, Pastor Simmons, and Curtis Cooper for carrying out a vision that inspires so many and is proof that art is a highly spiritual experience. Keep up the good work. Continue the MOVEMENT.


No comments:

Post a Comment