Monday, July 20, 2015

I Found the Music of the Night...




 I saw The Phantom of the Opera for the first time on Broadway, December of 2008.The only
things I remember from that experience were: Patricia Phillips being the first African American female to play the role of Carlotta and the chandelier flying through the audience, crashing to the stage. I expected the chandelier. I was told about that. To this day , I could  not put my finger on  why such a brilliantly composed, technically intricate, beautifully performed, award winning piece of theater could not find its way into the corners of a usually sharp and vivid memory.

Seven years later the remarkably energetic and youthful cast of Leon High School's production of the legendary musical helped me understand why. The Phantom of the Opera, has been thrilling audiences for over 25 years.  At this point there are singers who have been built their career on Phantom alone. The performers maybe well seasoned but the enthusiasm of newness has been long since checked at the door. This uber talented, eager cast of young people ; under the direction of Naomi Rose-Mock  and Dr. Judy Arthur attacked this age old classic with such vibrancy.  Two days later I am still singing various tunes from the score.

This happy hysteria is attributed to the fact that Leon is the first organization in Florida to rise to challenge of mastering this intimidating production. Leon has a history of musical excellence and Phantom was no exception. The cast is lead by Aidan Berry who breathes a quiet confidence and amicability that many adults Masuerade to have. His leading lady for the night was the blithesome Carolyn Hall, a student from Chile's High School. Aidan's voice is passionately strong. He ascends to his high notes with the falsetto of youth, managing the transitions with ease.  Caorolyn Hall as Christine is just other worldly. The things she does with her voice exceeds many sopranos who are years her senior. Both are singers to watch.

I had the privilege of chatting with Berry, Hall and Rose-Mock during the frenzy of pre-show.

How does it feel knowing that you will have "Phantom" to add to your resume so soon in your career?

Aidan:  You want to go first Carolyn?

Carolyn: Sure,"Phantom"  was something that I'd always loved to do.  Was is a dream role for me since I was little. I can't believe I'm doing it. It's so wondeful. I'm really excited.

I can tell. I can feel it. What about you sir?

Aidan: I'm just very excited because it's the role of a lifetime for a lot people, even as a professional. You just never know when you're going to get this opportunity again. To have this opportunity so early in life is very valuable.

Aidan, I heard a rumor that in ninth grade, you told Dr. Arthur that you wanted to be an opera singer. Is that true? Describe that day for me.

Aidan: Yes it is. I think Dr. Arthur can rememer better than I do. She said that I just decided at 15 one day,  that between Broadway and  classical music, opera was the best fit for me. I made that decision and I've stuck with it.

When did you understand that music was your gift to share with the world?  At what point did you surrender to that passion?

Carolyn: I started taking voice lessons from Dr. Connors summer of my freshman year. I'd never done a lot of things where I was a soloist before; but she helps singers prepare for solo and ensemble. I did one of her little concerts and I performed alone. I performed with the beautiful voice she helped me to find. I never realized how good I could actually be. I think that was the moment that I realized I could do this.

Aidan: I never really thought of my voice as a gift to the world. I just really enjoy singing. I used to be really insecure as a person in general. Through music I developed and became extremely confident in other areas of my life. It really pushed me to be more confident and more social.

Who is that performer that just gives you LIFE? How or why do they inspire you?

Carolyn: Any performer?

Yeah.

Carolyn: Oh my gosh, there 're just so many people. I don't know. Come back to me. (she is really bubbing over)

Aidan: Let's see.That's a tough one.I guess mine would be Ramin Karimloo ( http://instagram.com/raminkarimloo ) He was the "The Phantom" in the 25th Anniversary. I loved his performance. He was so inspiring, just amazing.

Carolyn: (still bubbling) I don't know. There're so many people. The person I've seen in Tallahassee who is just beautiful is Naomi Rose- Mock. She is a wonderful performer. I absolutely enjoy watching her. I take lessons from her every now and then. She's just beautiful.

What's your favorite song to sing in the show? What song makes you say, "I AM THE PHANTOM!  I AM CHRISTINE!" ?

Carolyn: I think my favorites are "Twisted" , which is a really short song in act two. It has a lot of drama to it. I like the fact that Christine  shows that she actually has feelings, that she's not just the shy inge'nue, and "Past the Point of No Return". It's just amazing.

Aidan:  Well I guess for me, when I start singing and I'm cursing . You get to see the dark side and the light side of The Phantom  after I sing "Angel of Music" It's such a dynamic part.

What do you think will be the audience's favorite part of the show?

Carolyn: I know a lot of people come to see " Masquerade". The costumes are so wonderful. The people that made them worked so hard. I don't know. I just want them to be recognized. I also think people come to see The Finle. It's so emotional.

Who are the show stoppers, the cast standouts?

Aidan: Michael Mellow.

Carolyn: Micheal Mello is hilarious.

Aidan: Michael Mellow and Hayden Palmer are the best.

Carolyn: They make my day.They took characters that could have been one thing and made them so much more than it ever could have been. It's just perfect.

When the last note is sung and the curtain falls, what is it that you wish for the audience to take home from this Phantom experience? What do you want them to remember?

Aidan: I feel like The Phantom is judged harshly on two polar opposites. People either hate hate him and are happy that he's not with Christine, or they're all about The Phantom. I want them to feel the balance. I want them see both sides and leave feeling conflicted. I want them to ask if he was good person, because did bad things. He also has a tender side.
I want them to question their previous thoughts on who The Phantom is.

Carolyn: Man, I can't follow that. I just want them to walk away having seen something that changes them.I want them to feel they have seen something really beautiful and get goose bumps. I want everyone to have goose bumps.

Here is my chat with director  Naomi Rose-Mock.

I read that Leon High School was your favorite directing gig of the year.What keeps you returning joyfully?

Naomi: It's the kids. They are awesome. You can just feel their energy. Here is this huge undertaking and the kids attack it with no fear. That's what's energizing to me.

How has the Tallahassee Theater community grown over the years?

Naomi:  Oh my Gosh, it has exploded. You have your old venues like Theater Tallahassee, and both of the university programs along with TCC's theater program, which has grown exponentially, and now you have new companies that are just thriving.

Like Midtown Entertainment!

Naomi: Yes Midtown does come to mind, but they are thriving. I think people are ready for new and  exciting work.

As an artist do you think it's important to challenge the status quo?

Naomi:  I think it's important that we the best we can. I tell my actors we can have fun but when we're in process it's about the work. Nobody wants to be in a bad show. I try to push the actors to make sure they know the purpose of each character.

What does directing teach you about yourself as a person?

Naomi: I think I learn something from each process.Honestly I think I learn more from the cast. I love that every process is a new process. I enjoy that. I love that in theater, you can create this world from nothing.

When it's all said and done, what do you want the students to take away from this process?

Naomi: I hope they take away the fact that we did a show that hasn't been done in Florida, a show that everyone is afraid of , a big spectacle and that we did it WELL.  We did The Phantom of the Opera and we did it well.

I was allowed to sit in  on the the entire run-thru; which included costume, makeup, lighting, all the elements that make theater that magical place many of us love. It was casts first time with the full orchestra and the new element did not slow them down one bit.  I experienced the thrilling yin and yang of Berry and Hall's performance. I was fortunate to have a brief conversation with the Hayden Palmer that our leads spoke so highly of. What they didn't share with me was that the young Mr. Palmer also served as student director. During intermission I overheard him discussing light cues with the lighting director like a veteran.  I didn't even realize that he was a new high school graduate. He shared with me a few of his visual calls that he down  played. To the eyes of this experienced thespian, his calls were spot on. I was very impressed with his eye for detail.

Before I conclude, I must give  special mention to Miss Emma Finnegan in her role as the tempermental diva Carlotta. Her melodious voice and comedic timing made her the sure fire scene stealer that Carlotta must be. She handled the "Queen of Shade" as if the part were written for her.

All in all, the youthfully vibrant cast of Leon's Phantom of the Opera gave a performance that I will remember for sometime. Even now , almost  week later I find myself replaying moments from the show in my mind. I must extend my appreciation to Ms.Susan Byrnes for opening the door to such a  marvelous evening of young theater.  Thank you  Naomi Rose- Mock for trusting me with your babies at such a critical time in production. Aidan Berry,Carolyn Hall, you were infectiously gracious and fun to talk to. Thank you all for truly giving me "The Music of the Night" .   You are a part of  The Midtown Movement. Leon's Phantom of the Opera runs until the 26th of July with evening shows at 7:30pm and the final performance starting at 3:30pm. For ticket info, go to leonperformingarts.org

As a last minute side note, show Mr.Berry some love. Check out his website, www.aidanberry.com  and definitely contribute to his gofundme.

No comments:

Post a Comment